When you think about updating your kitchen, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Many people think paint, cabinets, and flooring, which can all be very expensive. But did you know there’s one small, inexpensive change that can completely update the look of your cabinets? It’s as simple as switching out your hardware!
Hardware alters the style and appearance of cabinets, so swapping it out is a great way to refresh your space without breaking your budget.
A Word on Metal Hardware
While you can find cabinet pulls made of unique materials like leather or wood, most hardware is metal, and while leather and wood look nice, we recommend metal hardware because it’s a long-lasting, timeless choice.
Today, hardware comes in metals like stainless steel, nickel, brass, and copper, just to name a few, so you have plenty of options to choose from.
How do you pick the right one for your cabinets?
As a general rule, we recommend keeping the metals in the room to no more than two. If you have stainless steel appliances in your kitchen, it counts as one metal. The metal you choose for your hardware could either match your appliances or be another metal variety that matches your desired aesthetic.
This is a simple tip, but it keeps things from feeling too “busy” in your space.
3 Tips to Choose the Right Hardware for Your Space
Hardware can be relatively inexpensive, and you can find choices almost anywhere, from your local home improvement store to online shops, and even antique stores.
1. Choose a shape that compliments your cabinets
When you shop for hardware, you can choose from knobs, handles, pulls, and much, much more. Keep in mind, though, that you want to match the shape to the style of your cabinets.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Whether you’ll paint or refinish your cabinets first. If you’re painting or refinishing your cabinets during a kitchen remodel, you can choose hardware that has a different number of holes than your current pulls. For example, if you’re going from handles (two holes) to knobs (one hole), you’ll need to fill and paint over excess holes before you change out your hardware.
- If your cabinets are stock or custom. If you have custom cabinets, you have a lot of flexibility in the hardware you add. If your cabinets are stock, though, you should stick with hardware that closely mimics what’s already there.
- The style of your home. Make sure you choose hardware that complements the style of your home. Cabinets, especially custom ones, were made with a certain look in mind, so keeping the design of your home in mind makes for a cohesive, welcoming look.
2. Opt for quality
You’re constantly touching your cabinet hardware, so it has to be durable! Not only does choosing high-quality hardware provide a better daily experience, but the hardware will stay in place better and last longer than cheap replacements.
3. Choose a practical option
Some hardware is beautiful to look at, but tough to live with (think back on the leather and wood we mentioned before). As you shop for new hardware, choose items that are easy to interact with.
The hardware you choose should be:
- Easy to clean. Look for materials and shapes that you can wipe down and clean easily.
- Easy to use. Hardware should feel good in your hand and should be easy to use. Stay away from shapes that pinch your fingers or are difficult to grip.
- Safe for the whole family. Look for hardware that accommodates your family. Think about how you’ll baby-proof cabinets with knobs or pulls, and whether a young child can scratch themselves on the hardware you select.
It’s your kitchen, which means you can really do whatever you want to it! But these few tips about hardware will help you make a good choice you’ll be happy about for years to come.
Enhance Your Kitchen with Custom Cabinets in Perry, NY
Whether you’ve redecorated your home or you’re simply looking for a springtime refresh, new hardware is an excellent way to breathe new life into your cabinets. If you want to step your home up a notch, try custom kitchen cabinets! We’ve been doing cabinet work for more than 25 years, and it’s a joy to provide our services to those in our community.
To schedule a free estimate or learn more, contact us today! Our custom cabinet company proudly serves those in Perry, NY, and the nearby areas.