To build in or not to build in? That is the question. Or, at least, it’s one of the many you’ll face as you design your new space. While built-ins can enhance your home, installing them is a big decision, and it’s important to consider the pros and cons first.
As a custom cabinet company, we suggest that if you plan to make changes to your space, you should evaluate the pros and cons carefully first.
The Pros of Built-Ins
Custom built-ins are completed to your specifications and needs rather than anyone else’s. With that in mind, here are a few pros of built-ins:
- Double as decor. Custom built-ins do more than just provide storage and functionality — they also provide a great source of hassle-free decor, and are an excellent way to take up a large wall or fill an awkward space. Plus, they look neat and finished, which adds appeal and warmth to your space.
- Space-saving design. Since they take up less space than freestanding cabinets, built-ins help a room feel large and spacious. In fact, custom built-ins can save you several inches of floor space in a small room, which is great if you’re looking to use every inch of a space.
- Increased home value. Custom built-ins add value to your home, especially when they’re handmade with quality materials. This is good news for homeowners who think selling may be on the horizon.
There’s nothing quite like custom built-ins to make space feel truly designed, rather than just built. When you add built-ins to your space, you increase the elegance and appeal of your space.
To get a well-rounded understanding of cabinets and make an informed choice, it’s important to know about the cons, too.
The Cons of Built-Ins
While custom built-ins have many pros, there are also some drawbacks to consider, like:
- Permanence. Once you add built-ins, it’s not easy to alter them (or take them out) if your tastes change. They’re a relatively permanent home addition, which means you should be sure about your style, design, and placement before you invest.
- Scale. If they’re poorly designed, built-ins can overwhelm a small space. As such, it’s important to work with a custom cabinet maker that knows how to design built-ins for your home.
- Cost. Custom built-ins are more expensive than stock shelving since they’re created for your individual space. While the price may be out of reach for some homeowners, the investment is well worth it for those who choose to go this route.
Are Custom Built-Ins Right for You?
If you’re considering investing in custom built-ins for your home, here are a few questions to ask to decide whether they’re right for you:
- Do I have the budget for it? Custom built-ins should make your space more functional and spacious. Depending on the type you want, built-ins can cost thousands of dollars, though, and it’s important to find a way to budget for what you want so you’re happy with the end results.
- Why do I want the built-ins? What role do you want built-ins to play? What do you want to store? Custom built-ins can help you realize that dream and enhance your space. If you’re looking to do a mini makeover for a space, they’re a great option.
- Which materials do I like? The best custom built-ins are crafted from timeless material that wears well and never goes out of style. Take some time now to consider which materials you’re interested in and whether they fit into your budget and design vision.
Get Custom Built-In Cabinets for Your Space
Interested in built-in cabinets for your home? Kustom Kabinetry is here for you. Whether you want custom kitchen cabinets or built-ins in your study or bedroom, our team strives to make your space perfect for you. We complete all of our work by hand, and we’re committed to providing you with the best customer service around.
Contact us today to learn more about our custom cabinets and built-in services, and how we can help you make your Perry, NY home function exactly the way you want it to.